So Caught Up - Olive Murray
I've gotten so caught up in
pretending I didn't miss you that
I think I forgot what it was like to
see the look on your face when you're working.
Some part of me wanted to
get out of that car and sweep you
up into arms that are not hers, hoping
beyond hoping that you of all people would
realize that I am falling apart.
I am so caught up in falling apart that
I forgot what it was like to be in love.
I embraced the floral perfume of escapism
and forgot how the words I love you tasted inside
a wounded mouth. I forgot what it felt like
to live, to thrive, to keep my shell open
and tolerate the living. Sometimes, I even
forget what it feels like to fall apart.
I got so caught up in loving you,
I didn't even stop to consider what it would
be like to miss you. To not have you,
to feel that aching chasm in my chest,
like a wound, a deep dark mark,
pressurized and suffocating me, because
without you, who am I? In all my ruffled
plumage, with all these saintly hues, dressed
in colored bandages, waiting outside the
tabernacle for a choir to escape, to ring their
hands in this forbidden atmosphere, and
now I can't even remember how your voice
sounds - the way you smell out of the
shower - the color of your eyes when sunlight
dances in them - but what I wish
what I am desperate to forget is the way
I fell for you, like some tired escapade, like
foreboding atmosphere in a chilled climate, because
without you - without you - without you
I am empty. I've felt this way before, this sort
of desperate misery that clings like crushed styrofoam
to every surface it can touch, and the breeding
resentment that keeps me from falling completely
apart, from texting you, from digging through my
phone books and calling you, from creating
search engines devoted to your name that whisper
back at me he did not love you because I can't
stand the pain of losing you twice; the metaphor here
is that when I am gone from this world, and you
are gone from this world, and she is gone from
this world, the suffering could, would, should end.
But until the day I completely fall apart, hand
in hand with god and the devil, I will be so
caught up in missing you.
Comments
Post a Comment
Thanks for your comment. It should appear on the blog in a few days.