Taken for Granted + Teeth - Olive Murray
taken for granted
The sun, some sort of father figure to oppose the earth and the moon,
creeps higher as I sip coffee too early out of a paper cup and watch a
half-hearted soccer match with quiet moon beam cheers. I am going
to be late for class, but the timer ticks up to one-hundred and five
minutes and I am exhausted in this early morning atmosphere. His
hand grips tight his own cup, while he loud jaw chews and clicks his
breakfast that he slipped into his pocket on his way out. I don't know
why I didn't know I was always going to be taken for granted. Even
as I feel the pressure of his knee on my knee and move away, some
fake discomfort surging within me, a tide of envy pressing itself on
my throat, I didn't know.
I wanted her to see me, to see the faults and cracks in my spine, the
way her words rippled through me like a unmedicated and undeviated
solar flare, each rip and tear a nebula of gaseous effects, and I watched
her kiss him and raise an eyebrow in challenge when she looked
back at me. A moment of deviation proved drunken debauchery
correct and her lips were so pink in the cold, cold air; she flirted with
me and pressed her soft mouth against my shoulder; for a moment
I was frozen between longing and regret, and remembered his
voice coming to me, asking do you have feelings for me, too? and
I shifted away, pretending not to notice, or care, but should have
realized then: I will always be taken advantage of.
teeth
I built my whole life around having friends, being
consistent but when it comes down to it and words
are dropped like tacks in the mouth of a giant, all
steely hardware with nowhere to go it turns out it is
not as I had pictured. I quietly pretend to be brought
around but instead want nothing better than to run -
see, this happens when I feel I’ve gotten stuck; when
the road meets the cross and I am lost without direction
to turn to. I don’t believe in having friends anymore,
because for me they’ve all turned out the same - parcels
of bitter teeth wrapped in shiny paper which waits on
tenterhooks for you to dig childish fingers in, only to
bite and gnaw and tear when your actions displease
them. I’m not sorry. I’ll never be sorry for being who I
believe I need to be - but you. You will never be sorry
for making me own a set of teeth, too.
The sun, some sort of father figure to oppose the earth and the moon,
creeps higher as I sip coffee too early out of a paper cup and watch a
half-hearted soccer match with quiet moon beam cheers. I am going
to be late for class, but the timer ticks up to one-hundred and five
minutes and I am exhausted in this early morning atmosphere. His
hand grips tight his own cup, while he loud jaw chews and clicks his
breakfast that he slipped into his pocket on his way out. I don't know
why I didn't know I was always going to be taken for granted. Even
as I feel the pressure of his knee on my knee and move away, some
fake discomfort surging within me, a tide of envy pressing itself on
my throat, I didn't know.
I wanted her to see me, to see the faults and cracks in my spine, the
way her words rippled through me like a unmedicated and undeviated
solar flare, each rip and tear a nebula of gaseous effects, and I watched
her kiss him and raise an eyebrow in challenge when she looked
back at me. A moment of deviation proved drunken debauchery
correct and her lips were so pink in the cold, cold air; she flirted with
me and pressed her soft mouth against my shoulder; for a moment
I was frozen between longing and regret, and remembered his
voice coming to me, asking do you have feelings for me, too? and
I shifted away, pretending not to notice, or care, but should have
realized then: I will always be taken advantage of.
teeth
I built my whole life around having friends, being
consistent but when it comes down to it and words
are dropped like tacks in the mouth of a giant, all
steely hardware with nowhere to go it turns out it is
not as I had pictured. I quietly pretend to be brought
around but instead want nothing better than to run -
see, this happens when I feel I’ve gotten stuck; when
the road meets the cross and I am lost without direction
to turn to. I don’t believe in having friends anymore,
because for me they’ve all turned out the same - parcels
of bitter teeth wrapped in shiny paper which waits on
tenterhooks for you to dig childish fingers in, only to
bite and gnaw and tear when your actions displease
them. I’m not sorry. I’ll never be sorry for being who I
believe I need to be - but you. You will never be sorry
for making me own a set of teeth, too.
Comments
Post a Comment
Thanks for your comment. It should appear on the blog in a few days.